With my marathon behind me, I’m not left wondering what is next? I’m a mere 14 months I’ve went from running my first 5k, to my first 10k, to my first half-marathon to my first marathon. Now, where do I go?
- More focus on speed work. I think I would have enjoyed my marathon more had I been able to do it in about an hour less. Okay, that is sort of a joke…but the faster I get, the quicker I can get the 26.2 miles over with. More importantly I have PR’d all races I’ve ran this year, and I want to keep that going. When it comes to the Bluegrass 10,000 I want to cut off SIGNIFICANT time. Last year it took me over an hour and six minutes to complete…that was a 10:39/mi pace. This year I want to get that down below 9:00/mi. That is a lofty goal, but since I was able to do 5 miles at an 8:23/mi pace last month I am pretty sure I can do this. I have 7 weeks to get ready.
- More strength training. I really need to diversify my workouts. For the past… who knows how long all I’ve done is run. No strength, no flexibility, no other cross training…just running. While that isn’t always a bad thing, if I really want to finish losing weight I’m going to have to diversify.
- Hit my weight goal. I had hoped to hit 140 pounds lost by my 2 year anniversary of starting (which I don’t remember an exact date, but am celebrating it as May 31st). Marathon training makes it almost impossible to lose lots of weight. I did manage to lose 7.2 pounds from the start to the end of my training, which I’ll consider a victory… but to really switch it up a gear it is time to get with it. I have came to terms that I won’t hit my goal by that date (that’d take 8.2 lbs in 17 days), but the sooner I hit it the better. Maybe by vacation? (which gives me 39 days). Probably still a stretch, but I can hope.
- Next Half. I am already registered for another half-marathon (the Iron Horse in Midway in October). Last year I ran it as my first half and put up a respectable 2:11:28. This year I want to break 2 hours.
- Next Full. Hahaha… maybe never.
- Duathlon. This is something that I may work on. First thing is I’d have to get a bike, learn how to ride it and learn how to ride it well. This is a likely next step.
- Triathlon. This is a lofty goal, of which I may never get to. If I can achieve the duathlon then I still have to worry about learning to swim. Yes… I don’t know how to swim. Most adults can do this, but not me. I guess maybe it is time to learn?
- What else? Chime in and let me know what I should try next?